Thorough knowledge of the BOP and main drilling equipment is vital for safe, efficient and trouble-free drilling. The Hands-on BOP Workshop presents the BOP and main drilling equipment found on today’s surface rigs. This highly informative workshop equips candidates with overall knowledge of drilling equipment, explains the most common faults of BOPs on surface rigs and introduces basic maintenance procedures with a focus on safe working practices.
Who should attend?
This workshop is aimed at the following individuals working on land rigs, platform rigs and jack-up rigs: Roughnecks, Derrickmen, (Assistant) Drillers, Toolpushers, Drilling Supervisors, Maintenance Supervisors, Rig Managers and (Assistant) Mechanics.
Upon completion of the Hands-on BOP Workshop attendees will be able to:
- Fully understand and explain the operation of the main components of well control equipment (ram- and annular-type BOPs, gate valves, choke and kill manifolds, diverters and control systems)
- Understand the basic API requirements for well control equipment
- Understand maintenance requirements for well control equipment
- Perform maintenance on ram-type BOPs in a safe manner, as learned frompractical training on a surface ram BOP in our workshop.
Topics covered during this workshop include:
- Function, operation, inspection and most common problems of:
- ram and annular preventers
- gate valves
- choke and kill manifolds
- hydraulic control units
- diverter systems
- coflexip hoses
- Analysis of the configuration and testing of the choke and kill manifold
- Safe-working procedures and requirements for pressure testing BOP equipment
- Recognizing symptoms which indicate malfunctions or the need to inspect, maintain or repair well control equipment
The workshop consists of interactive practical workshop and classroom sessions. In the practical session attendees have the opportunity to remove a bonnet, strip down, inspect and reassemble the bonnet onto the BOP. Candidates measure cavities and ram blocks and inspect several areas of equipment. The theoretical classroom sessions are structured to allow group participation and discussion.
Upon successful completion of the Hands-on BOP Workshop, candidates receive a certificate of completion. Attendees who score below 70% on the final exam receive a certificate of attendance.
Singapore training centre: four days
Houston training centre: five days
Candidates who have completed the Hands-on BOP Workshop and would like to extend their knowledge are encouraged to attend other Lloyd's Register Energy – Drilling courses and training programmes.
Please contact us for additional opportunities and training aimed at personal career development.