Planned maintenance and accurate inspections are important in minimizing rig downtime and injury to personnel.
The Coal Seam Gas and Mining Land Rigs Workshop provides proven procedures and techniques for the inspection and maintenance of equipment found on various types of drilling rigs. Attendees learn how to identify and implement the correct standards and thus increase personnel safety and protect the asset.
This International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC) accredited workshop deals with the most common faults found in drilling operations throughout the coal seam gas and mining industries. Strong emphasis is placed on the relevant Australian standards and state-based regulations as well as API, IEC, ISO and OEM codes.
Who should attend?
This workshop is aimed at Drilling Supervisors, Drilling Engineers, Drilling Managers, Maintenance Managers, HSE Consultants, Tool Pushers, Mechanics, Electricians, Drillers and Regulators.
Aims of the course
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
• Independently carry out basic (visual) rig inspections
• Identify the major items which have an impact on safety and operation of the rig
• Recognize indicators for the overall condition of a drilling rig
• List the relevant standards
• Evaluate basic maintenance and inspection procedures on the rig to identify compliance with good working practice and industry standards
• Discuss typical equipment used on coal seam gas and mining drilling rigs in Australia
• Describe the main inspection criteria for capital equipment
This workshop deals with the most common equipment faults and recurring problems found during more than 6,000 drilling rig surveys performed by Lloyd’s Register Energy – Drilling. It describes and explains the working principles of major drilling equipment using detailed examples from Lloyd’s Register Energy – Drilling’s technical inspection database.
The Coal Seam Gas and Mining Land Rigs Workshop consists of four days of interactive classroom sessions with ample time for group participation and discussion.
Additionally, Lloyd’s Register Energy – Drilling provides attendees with the following:
• A checklist format for major equipment, which assists with correct maintenance and inspections
• Multiple examples of good and bad practices, including photos
• Presentation of improvements and new designs of drilling equipment
• Additional explanation of the workshop manual
Drawworks, Swivel, Top Drive
Crown Block, Travelling Block
Driller Console, Derrick, Winches
Lifting and Handling Equipment
Mud Pumps, Mud System, Shale Shakers
Diesel Engines, Air Compressor, Crane
Brakes, Electrical Safety Equipment
Drilling & Safety Equipment
Hydraulic Equipment, Ram Preventor
Annular Preventor, Valves
Choke and Kill Manifold,
Final exam and Course Evaluation
The Coal Seam Gas and Mining Land Rigs Workshop is fully accredited by the International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC).
Upon successful completion of the workshop, participants receive a certificate of completion accredited by the IADC. This certificate is valid for five years..
This workshop is conducted over four days.
Candidates who have completed this workshop and would like to extend their knowledge further are encouraged to attend other Lloyd’s Register Energy – Drilling courses and training programmes.